Tuesday, June 17, 2014

I am here because...

In order to fully understand another person's struggle, you have to experience the same struggle for yourself. How else could you relate if you have never gone through similar situations? With that being said, I felt obligated to help first generation, low income students prepare for college because I was once in their shoes. I know how difficult it may be to prepare for college without the proper resources and support. I have been there, done that, and now I am a Program Advisor that is helping students conquer their unfortunate situation.

I completed the Emerging Scholars program in 2010. My first thoughts after my first summer attending the program were, "I am not returning, it's too much work, and I hate not being able to have my phone!" The next summer rolled around and I wanted to attend sports camps, but my mom insisted that I returned. If it wasn't for my mom, I wouldn't have completed the program and I wouldn't have obtained the skills that the Emerging Scholars program offered me. Not returning would have been my biggest regret. It's where I first learned about SAT/ACT. I learned how to navigate a website called college board that allows you to look up information on every college you can think of. I must say that because of the program, I am now a rising senior at Clemson University. Aside from the work, I made connections with people from others schools that will ALWAYS have a place in my heart. I just learned a lot throughout my experience as an Emerging Scholar and I will forever be grateful for the program and Amber Lange.

I want to continue being a positive influence in the lives of our students and serve as a mentor. Years from now, I can say that I helped high school students from my community and the surrounding areas where I am from prepare for higher education. "It is not about where you are from, but where you are going."

#TeamES
Nikki



No comments:

Post a Comment